Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Allow me to Introduce Myself

I've really enjoyed meeting the other authors in the group via their blog posts.  Now it's my turn to introduce myself.  I'm going to start with the blurb for The Prodigal Father, my first (and so far only) book with 5 Star.

Beth is faced with the decision of a lifetime when her estranged husband Scott suddenly returns and asks her to give their marriage a second chance.  She thinks he will change his mind once she tells him they have a daughter, and that their daughter has Down syndrome.  Instead, Scott convinces her to come to the resort he owns in northern Wisconsin and along with their daughter, Risa, take a chance on becoming a real family.  He does his best to adapt to his new role as father, learn about his daughter’s disability and show Beth that they all belong together.  Beth realizes she still loves Scott and wants to stay with him.  She is torn between her desire to create a family, the fear of failure and guilt over past mistakes.

My youngest daughter, now 15, has Down syndrome.  I wanted to include some of my experiences as a parent of a child with disabilities into my story.  Fortunately for me, I had a great husband and supportive family with me the whole way.  My heroine, Beth has only herself and sometimes her in-laws to rely on.  That's why the Birth to 3 program becomes so important to her.

There is a state funded Birth to 3 program in every state.  It provides assistance to families that have a very young child (under three years old) who is developmentally delayed.  That assistance can take the form of physical, speech and/or occupational therapy, help in finding information about your child's disability, access to community services, early education and more.

This program is vitally important to families that are struggling to understand their child's challenges and how those challenges will affect the lives of every member of their family.  I know this for certain because I've been there.  I dedicated the book to Theresa, my daughter's Birth to Three service coordinator.  

When 5 Star accepted my manuscript for publication I was doubly glad.  Not only would I be able to share my feelings about children who have disabilities and the professionals who support them, but it was going to be in libraries all over the country!

I am the director of a small, rural library and I believe in the importance of libraries as much as the importance of the Birth to 3 program. I also love blogs and I'm very happy to be a part of this one.  Thanks to Joyce for getting us started.

8 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Kara Lynn,

Your novel sounds like a wonderful book! Books based on true experiences like yours are especially meaningful.

Best wishes for your success from a fellow librarian.

Anonymous said...

Kara Lynn,
What a wonderful book and what a beautiful cover! I can't wait to read it. I, too, have a disabled stepdaughter--handicapped children can be such a special part of our life, and it's wonderful to see how you've used yours to reach others. May you experience much success with your new book.

Anonymous said...

Your book not only sounds like a great read, but I really admire you for writing about your topic. I think one of the rewards of being published, maybe the most important, is that our words might help others who are struggling through specific challenges. Best of luck with it.

SandyMDesigns said...

This sounds like a great read. I'm glad you haved shared you story about your daughter.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Congrats Kara on your first Five Star release....I'm still waiting to hear....maybe one day.

It is so nice to meet the other authors here!

I'll be back (that's a promise, not a threat LOL)

PamT

Joyce Elson Moore said...

Kara: I read your post with interest. Gee, you wear a lot of different hats and have multiple interests. Good for Five Star for publishing a book like yours!

Kara Lynn Russell said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Joyce, I'm glad to say that 5 Star was very supportive of the subplot about the hero and heroine's daughter. Pam, hang in there. You know the waiting's the worst part.

sheilamarie said...

This sounds like a great read! I'll look for it.