Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Communication

Communication is the tool we use to make or keep contact with others. Certainly this blog is one way to communicate with fellow Five Star authors and readers. We keep in touch with our friends by communicating in many ways, on the phone, by email, and on Face book or other various social media networks. We used to write letters, and the decline of that form of communication  is an ongoing lament  which I've addressed in previous blogs, and still get comments about from my adult children to whom I write long emails occasionally.

I can honestly say that as my age creeps up, I have succumbed to brief ways of communication at times, out of necessity, but not to text ingNever to text ing.  That process of communication goes against the grain for me as a grammarian, a lover of words and as an author and a conversationalist.

Mary Higgins Clark has written over 50 books, is still writing, and she and I are the same age. When all else fails, books and writing become my personal way of communicating. A reviewer of one of my novels once wrote that my style of writing is similar to the style of Mary Higgins Clark.  I was elated at that comment; those kind of kudos keep me writing, and I imagine fellow authors feel the same way.

In her memoir, Anna Quindlen mused about herself and wrote "I hope she writes as often as she cares to, and there are still readers who resonate to her words." I embrace that thought. I still wait for a book out there in publisher land , but continue to write. In May I intend to take a little hiatus from blogging on Author Expressions on the fourth Friday. My health demands a little rest, so I shall wait until June to communicate 
with friends everywhere. Here's hoping you all have a delightful, rejuvenating spring.



9 comments:

Mary F. Schoenecker said...

Thanks to Susan O. for helping to put this blog in print on AE.I think gremlins got into my draft and prevented it from publishing at 6:30 this morning - that's as good an excuse as I can come up with. A BIG smile and best of wishes to Susan for coming to my rescue.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Glad it worked out! An excellent and thoughtful blog, Mary. I hope you soon feel better. I agree with you, I think blogging is a good way to communicate with fellow readers and writers.

Susan Oleksiw said...

Your post is very timely, Mary. I've been thinking about how much time we spend on social media, to develop our platforms, and wonder if there is any real communication going on. As a writer I want to reach readers, but as a writer I feel I should be writing, and focused on writing the best book possible. Hope you come back stronger than ever in June.

Mary F. Schoenecker said...

Thank you for your considerate comments, Jacquie and Susan. Time,rest and patience will tell. I need to pray for the patience.

Carole Price said...

An excellent blog, Mary, I hope you feel better soon. I hesitated from becoming a regular blogger on the LadyKillers because I didn't think I'd have anything important to say about the assigned themes, but soon realized how much I learned and how important it is to communicate with our readers.

Bonnie Tharp said...

You're right, writing are our way of communicating, and a very good way, too. But we have to reach our readers and many of them text and use social media extensively. I'm still learning and trying new ways to communicate. I like some better than others. And when something I have written resonates with a reader and they comment - it's thrilling indeed. Good post, Mary. Thank you.

Mary Fremont Schoenecker said...

Thanks for sharing about your hesitancy to blog, Carole. Always remember that with every book you write you are communicating with someone & hopefully, many someones!

Mary F. Schoenecker said...

I do appreciate reader's thoughts about my writing and I'm glad you do also, Bonnie. I can honestly say that even the two negative reviews I received for the total of my books were a learning experience.

Stephanie Faris said...

I read a quote recently that I think I'm going to incorporate into a blog: "Writers never retire." That sums it up, doesn't it? When you're doing what you love, why should you retire?