How do we stand out? That really is the ultimate question. Some possible answers might be:
- With a little luck and an awesome story our novels will sell well.
- Word of Mouth is a great sales tool. If one person tells another and they tell another then the potential for a best seller grows exponentially.
- Good book reviews sell books. Writers are also readers, so always give honest reviews of the books you read.
- Marketing. Marketing. Marketing.
- Social media helps with visibility. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, etc. Be there.
- Give-aways and Contests help get your book out. Goodreads.com is a great resource for authors. People love freebies and readers adore free books. Get your book in the readers hands, that's the key.
- Workshops and Speaking engagements are a great way to meet and greet. Get the word out you are an author.
- Authors must brand themselves in order to grown our audience. For example, Nora Roberts is synonymous with romantic mysteries. Stephen King is the king of the horror story. These author names are their brands. We have to somehow do the same with our brand - Bonnie Tharp, author of feisty family fiction.
- Tell a fabulous story, thoroughly edited and vetted before putting it out to the world. No one likes to read a book full of typos, repetitive phrases, run on sentences, etc.
- Local libraries are a great way to make your books available. Not everyone can buy books. Libraries provide books to the masses. Readers will take a chance on an unknown author when borrowing the book.
- Share good books with friends and family.
- Find your niche audience. Does the heroine in your book knit? Then your story will appeal to other knitters.
Good luck, my author friends and don't forget to enjoy the ride.
To find out more about Bonnie Tharp go to http://bdtharp.com.