Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Summertime Reads

"Ain't no cure for the summer time blues..." That's a song I remember from way back when and it pops to mind every summer. It's a busy time, in some ways busier than the rest of the year. With kids out of school there is a lot more activity, vacations, yard work, and longer days to cram it all into. You've got a few special days for celebrations with family and friends, like Flag Day, Father's Day, Summer Solstice, Independence Day, and then Labor Day signals that summer is over. Whoa, let's not talk about that one yet.

If you're like me you have a list of things you'd like to get done in the three short months of summer. Maybe some purging and a yard sale? Box up the sweaters and dig out the shorts. Clean the carpets to decrease the allergens. There's always plenty to be done. When I was little I remember "lazy days of summer" where we'd lay by the community pool, ride our bikes after the ice cream truck, eat Popsycles, nap under a tree, chase fireflies and read tons of books.

Summertime isn't the same for adults, we still have jobs, home repairs and upkeep (mowing), cooking, cleaning and laundry. But for a couple of days or weeks we usually try to recapture those summer days we had as a child. If your status as an adult this summer makes you sad, escape in a good book. Every summer publishers launch a handful (or more) "beach reads" that are light and fun. I LOVE CONSUMING A GOOD SUMMER READ! Personally, my reading will consist of nothing too heavy/intense for the next couple of months, just good old fashioned entertainment, escapism, and fun. There are two beach reads sitting on my desk, calling my name, but I'm halfway through a science fiction novel a friend loaned me - so that one comes first. I've been known to read more than one book at a time. Do you? Sometimes, however, I really want to focus on the world of one story. Have fun this summer, be safe, and don't forget to READ. 

http://bdtharp.com

7 comments:

bdtharp said...

Anyone want to share their summer reads list?

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi, Bonnie,

I'm requesting Five Star/Gale novels for my summer reading at my local library. I intend to request and read as many as they are willing to order. Hope other readers and writers will do the same for DEATH LEGACY and some of my other novels!

bdtharp said...

Great idea! Much good luck to you. I spent Sat. at the No. Riverside Garden Stroll and sold several books. FFV is set in Riverside so it was fun for locals to read.

Mary F. Schoenecker Writes said...

I often red more than one book at a time. I belong to two different book clubs which results in my getting bogged down at times. I do agree to reading lighter, shorter reads for the coming months, though. Thanks for sharing about "beach reads"
Mary

Patricia Stoltey said...

My list is really long, but the book I just started is "The Last Kind Words" by Tom Piccirilli. I also have Beth Groundwater's "Wicked Eddies" working its way to the top of the stack, and "White Horse" by Alex Adams....and on and on.

bdtharp said...

I'll have to add these books to my list. The first up are: Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank, then Low Country Bribe by Hope Clark. Hunger Games is in the pile,too. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

We are uhe solid first platform for modeling newcomers to achieve there new dreams. The first to train and promote out models at our expense to avoid burden on them. Join the most popular agency if you modelling jobs in Delhi for female freshers, models, students, housewives aiming to start there modeling career. We are top modelling agency in Delhi offering modelling jobs in Delhi for upcoming female freshers or experienced models who want to join lingerie modeling agencies.


modeling agencies in Delhi
modeling agencies
modeling jobs
modeling auditions
model coordinators
modeling jobs in Delhi