Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Keeping the Door Open

Anyone who has published anything anywhere has probably had the experience of receiving unexpected and usually unsolicited feedback from a reader or another writer (not that they're mutually exclusive), and recently I started thinking about this. I'm not the most adept with (no longer new) technology, and a reader pointed out a slip I had made and how to correct it. I was pleased with the advice because I might otherwise not have caught on, and thanked her. She emailed me back with a note that she was relieved that I wasn't offended.

Instant publishing through blogs, websites, ebooks, emagazines also means instant feedback. We put our views on the Internet, with direct access to us, and this surely invites a reaction, and the reactions come in. Most of us are used to the benign comments that are complimentary, encouraging, supportive, and we occasionally get the argumentative ones that tell us, usually politely, that we're all wrong. But sometimes we get the snarky ones from readers who are just looking for an opportunity to score a hit. The trolls.

These people are not limited to the Internet. One reader of a Joe Silva mystery novel wrote to me that she wouldn't commit murder under the same circumstances that drove the character in my book, and I must say I was very glad to hear that. I commend her for her self-discipline and virtuous character.

Some people clearly don't mind being trolls or snarks, but most of us can hear that voice in the back of our heads saying, "No nice person would say anything like that," when we are tempted to give as good as we get. We restrain ourselves, proffer something polite, and move on.

The real problem with this instant publishing and instant critique isn't the hurt feelings or wasted time. The real problem is the same one that infects every other aspect of life. Bad money drives out good, nastiness pushes aside more thoughtful, useful comments, and we begin to delete without reading emails from any name we don't recognize.

I've been fortunate to have received only a few snarky emails (probably because I have a modest readership), and the unsolicited comments I do receive have been interesting, useful, and intelligent. I would hate to lose this connection with readers, so I keep my email open, remain optimistic, and thank everyone who takes the time to offer something that might benefit me. They are generous and helpful, and I'm glad to count them among people I reach. I can't promise this will last forever, but so far it seems to work.

8 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi, Susan,

When we write a novel, we are sticking are necks out. And there are always a few individuals who are going to make nasty comments whether they're deserved or not.
Constructive criticism can help us improve our writing however. It all depends. I've received great praise from a variety of readers of my novels. Likewise, there have been nasty comments as well. It's best to become elephant-skinned in respect to those that are just plain rude or unpleasant. Best ignored and forgotten.

Susan Oleksiw said...

You're right. We expose ourselves when we write fiction or anything else, but I rarely think about it. Then when the comments come in, I'm surprised. It does feel odd, however, to work in isolation and privacy for so long and then suddenly have people talking about my book as though they'd been sitting by my side at the desk all along. I love the opportunity for feedback, but I find the sudden, unexpected intimacy a bit jarring.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Feedback is welcome - criticism - not so much. It helps to remember all the good when faced with something negative and that everything is subjective to personal feelings/beliefs.

JMHO :-)
PamT

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I agree with Pam on this. We can't allow those who are negative spoil what is truly a great accomplishment, namely the publication of an original novel.

mary Frmont Schoenecker said...

I have also benefited from author corrections/comments/ criticisms. In the beginning we join critique groups for that very reason.I like your title - Keeping the Door Open".

Joyce Elson Moore said...

Susan: Thanks for posting about a subject that is little discussed. Like you, I have open email and hope I can keep it that way, because talking with readers is a fun part of writing.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Susan Oleksiw said...

I'm glad to hear from people who also think about this. We do have to be willing to take the criticism as well as the compliments, and I think we're fortunate to be able to correspond with our readers so directly. Very different from when I started writing eons ago. Thank you all for letting me hear from you.

Unknown said...

We are uhe solid first platform for modeling newcomers to achieve there new dreams. The first to train and promote out models at our expense to avoid burden on them. Join the most popular agency if you modelling jobs in Delhi for female freshers, models, students, housewives aiming to start there modeling career. We are top modelling agency in Delhi offering modelling jobs in Delhi for upcoming female freshers or experienced models who want to join lingerie modeling agencies.


modeling agencies in Delhi
modeling agencies
modeling jobs
modeling auditions
model coordinators
modeling jobs in Delhi