Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Dog Days of Summer

The hottest, most sultry time of year are called "the dog days of summer." I really didn't know why and as a child I just figured it was so hot even your dog didn't want to stay outside. Here's what Wikipedia says: "The Romans sacrificed a brown dog at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius (the dog star), believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather."

Poor dogs! That's just totally unfair.


I admit I'm staying inside most of the day. Except for yesterday when I was running errands and going in and out all day long. Lucy (my dog) and I only walk early in the morning (6:30 a.m. is pretty good). And if it's later in the morning then we scurry to the shaded areas of the side streets, where it's not so bad.

Do you remember the song "Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer" by Nat King Cole (1963)? That song still pops into my head around June and doesn't leave until September. I think the lyrics went something like "those days of sodas and pretzels and beer." And the photo on the album was kids playing on the beach. Not too many beaches in Kansas, that's for sure, we do enjoy grilling outside and picnics (when it's not too hot).


This doesn't have much to do with writing, except that these kinds of little memories, song lyrics and catch phrases are pretty good scene starters. They invoke feelings, which a good author wants to do, or we won't be successful. I hope you all have a happy, safe summer and enjoy some travel and reading as well.

Nat said he wished "that summer would always be here", and in some ways I do, too. (Don't forget to use sunscreen!)

3 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi, Bonnie,

Summer disrupts my writing schedule. We also took an early morning walk and then did our errands--shopping for fresh fruits and veggies. I'm just sitting down to write now. I prefer writing early, but that's summer! Don't forget to let our writer's group know about your posting. Happy summer days!

Bonnie Tharp said...

Hi Jackie - thanks for the comment. I posted it but everyone is on vacation or doing all kinds of interesting things. Have fun writing!

Unknown said...

We are uhe solid first platform for modeling newcomers to achieve there new dreams. The first to train and promote out models at our expense to avoid burden on them. Join the most popular agency if you modelling jobs in Delhi for female freshers, models, students, housewives aiming to start there modeling career. We are top modelling agency in Delhi offering modelling jobs in Delhi for upcoming female freshers or experienced models who want to join lingerie modeling agencies.


modeling agencies in Delhi
modeling agencies
modeling jobs
modeling auditions
model coordinators
modeling jobs in Delhi